Tuesday, May 5, 2009

I will miss you!

 

The rain had come.

In most cases, I would have been happy. The rain has generally always left me in high spirits, and low in temperature(a bonus in my case), cleansed as though it had washed away any grimy stress clinging to my soul.

The rain today, was not one of those.

No, today's rain had brought with it a deep, bellowing sorrow. The sorrow of having the one you love the most taken from you, if only for a short time.

I watched her leave, through the blurring wind and rain, and enter into the huge titan of steel. I marked the memory in my mind, to try and keep it close, but the rain and it's sorrow had seemed to want to flush it away.

As I walked home with the kids, a silence grew around us. We watched as other souls passed by us on their somber trek away from their homes, their families, their lives. Then the rain pressed in upon us, and soaked us to the bone, leaving behind a pit of mud in the depths of our hearts, for our missing beloved.

At last we arrived home, weighed down from our journey through the gray mist and rain, and  at once I started a bath and put the kids into the soothingly warm water. They perked up immediately, as though brought back to life with an extra pack of spare batteries.

Not wanting to ruin the moment, but wanting to make sure they knew what had just occurred, I asked them if they remembered where mommy had went. Surprisingly, the oldest looked at me, smiled and said, "Mommy went on the boat, in the water!" and then laughed and as if nothing else happened, picked up some bubbles floating nearby and showed them to me.

At once, all but a fraction of the sorrow was gone, replaced by a warm, fantastic glow, and as I looked at the kids, I knew, I just knew, that everything would be alright.

We'll see you soon hun. Have fun on your adventure!

No comments: